historic DCC
Davis Community Church, 1926
DCC-2015
Davis Community Church, 2015
timeline_pre_loader

Early 1800's

Presbyterian congregations met in rural homes and school houses in Yolo County whenever circuit-riding pastors were available.

1864

First church founded with a $200 grant from the Board of Missions – so we’re a mission church!

1868

Town of Davisville incorporated around the railroad crossing at the present Davis train station.  Soon thereafter, the First Presbyterian Church of Davisville was formally organized and a wooden frame church was built at the cost of $4,000 on the northeast corner of Fourth and E Streets.

DCC1W-1024x673

1884

The First Presbyterian Church of Plainfield merged with the Davisville church.  During this time, the Davisville Methodist Episcopal Church, South, disbanded and its members became members of the Presbyterian congregation.

1907

The town of Davisville changed its name to Davis.

1908

Instruction began at the University State Farm (now UC-Davis)

1924

The church sanctuary was completely destroyed by fire. The church helped to establish the Cal Aggie Christian Association, now the ecumenical Protestant campus ministry located on Russell Boulevard.  This same year, the Davis Arch was taken down and destroyed.

1925

The church took the name Davis Community Church. While maintaining its ties with the Presbyterian Church, it developed a more ecumenical Protestant vision and declared itself an interdenominational church with ties to the Presbyterian, Methodist, and Congregational denominations.

1926

The present mission style sanctuary building was built at the northeast corner of Fourth and C Streets. Representatives of Baptist, Methodist, Episcopal, Congregational, and Presbyterian denominations attended the cornerstone laying ceremony.

DCC3W-1024x611

1937

An arson fire required major structural repairs in the sanctuary. A stained glass window based on William Holman Hunt’s painting, “The Light of the World,” was installed above the choir loft.

1949

A Fellowship Hall was added to the north of the sanctuary building.

1955

The formal relationship with the Methodist and Congregational denominations ended and DCC was once again solely a Presbyterian congregation. However, it has maintained its ecumenical spirit through the present.

1960

The present church office was built.

1962

The original Christian Education wing of the church was added.

1974

The Davis Community Church Nursery School (DCCNS) was founded as a parent co-operative to provide an outreach ministry into the larger Davis community.

1982

The present Moeller electro-pneumatic organ and the antiphonal division of organ pipes located above the balcony were installed at a cost of $150,000.

1993

An arson fire caused major damage to two new buildings under construction. The two buildings, the present Fellowship Hall and Phoenix Hall, were re-built following the fire. The total cost of the new construction was $1.8 million.

1994

DCC became a Stephen Ministry Congregation, having begun this nationally recognized ministry of lay care giving.

1997

The church established the Bread of Life Center for Spiritual Formation as a major outreach ministry of the congregation. They are now located in Sacramento.

2007

DCC took a lead role in establishing the Interfaith Rotating Winter Shelter of Davis.

Start typing and press Enter to search